Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  What are Approved Inspectors?

A:  Approved Inspectors are companies or individuals approved by Government to provide Building Control Services in England and Wales.
ASK provides a cost-effective and client friendly alternative to local authority building control in the local Harrogate area. We have a team of qualified and experienced building control professionals who work with the client from design stage to final certification.

Q:  What are Building Regulations?

A:   Building Regulations are rules designed to ensure health, safety, accessibility and energy conservation in and about buildings.

Q:  When do Building Regulations apply?

A:  The rules are complex. Building Regulations may apply in any of the following circumstances:
i. The erection, alteration or extension of a building.
ii. The installation, alteration or extension of services or fittings.
iii. The change of use of a building.

Q:  What geographical area does ASK cover?

A:  To ensure that the quality of our local service is not compromised ASK concentrates its business predominantly to North and West Yorkshire.

Q:  What are ASK’s fees for providing Building Control Services?

A:   ASK offers a cost effective service tailored to the individual project. Provide ASK with the details of your project by telephone, email or by completing the enquiry form. ASK will respond with a fixed price, all inclusive fee proposal outlining the services you will receive.

Q:   How do I apply for building control certification from ASK?

A:  Complete the agreement form online (by following the instructions on the website and the form) or print off a copy and post it to ASK; or telephone/email to discuss your needs. On receipt of a completed agreement form, ASK will send an acknowledgement receipt, usually by email.

Q:  Should I contact the Local Authority?

A:   No, the client is not required to send anything to the Local Authority in respect of the Building Regulations. ASK always issue an Initial Notice on receipt of the instruction to proceed and a Final Certificate on satisfactory completion of the work. ASK sends these documents to the Local Authority and copy them to the client. These are important documents which will be required for any future “Search” on the property.

Q:   When can I start on site?

A:   On receipt of the completed agreement form, ASK will notify your Local Authority of your intended building work in what is called an ‘Initial Notice’. You may start work just as soon as this notice has been accepted by your Local Authority, which takes just a few days. ASK also carries out statutory consultations which apply to most applications e.g, Yorkshire Water. ASK strongly recommends that work doesn’t start on site until a satisfactory reply is received.

Q:   What does the estimated cost of the works include?

A:   The approximate estimated cost of the works should be the net value of the works relating to Building Regulations and not include VAT, professional fees, fixtures & fittings and decoration.

Q:   What happens if there is a problem with an application?

A:   Unlike a Local Authority Building Control department, an Approved Inspector never rejects an application out right. Instead ASK would request further information as required by the reasonable interpretation of the Building Regulations and endeavour to work with the client to resolve the problem.

Q:   What recourse do I have if I am unhappy with an Approved Inspector’s performance?

A:  ASK is bound by the codes of conduct of our own professional bodies including the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), and that of our regulatory body, the Construction Industry Council (CIC).

In the unusual event that a client is dissatisfied with the building control service they receive, they should contact ASK in the first instance. ASK will do its utmost to resolve any problems with you, following the agreed complaints procedure. A copy of ASK’s complaints procedure is available on request.